Friday, June 02, 2006
Thoughts on the Book of Psalms
Now in my daily Bible reading, I am reading on the Book of Psalms. While reading, what always struck me is the close and intimate relationship the David has with God.
The way that David wrote the Psalms, a lot of time it looks like a child asking things from the parents, or throwing a little tantrum just like the way a child would to his/her parents. This type of behaviors only happens when one is very close to the other person, just like the way we talk to our very best friends, to anybody less close, we would never do that.
So when reading these passages in Psalms, I always wonder, will I or maybe I should say, can I say things the same way as David to our Lord, our Father? Is my relationship with God close enough for me to speak to Him all my needs, my troubles etc.
A lot of times we will say to ourselves that we should not trouble God with all these little things or little problems that we faced in our life. But learning from David, we will know that this is a wrong way of thinking, our Father is more then willing to listen to our troubles etc.
Recently I met a sister while on the MRT home, and in this journey she was telling me about the happenings at her life recently. She had just changed a job, and is facing some problems with a colleague and thus also causing her boss to misunderstand her. So she was very sad and she prayed to the Lord for a chance to prove that it was not her fault, and the Lord listen to her request and sure enough granted her the chance.
Also as she was at her first few days at the new job, she was not used to the new environment and new place, she prayed to the Lord that she would be able to meet a church member nearby. So the day when she was in the lift, she asked a person next to her about directions to a certain bus stop, this person started describing to her in much details about the directions, even offered to fetch her there, which of course she rejected. Then this person proceeded to tear a page from his diary and wrote down the directions. Seeing that this person is so helpful, our sister took some tracts out to pass to him, but on seeing the tract, the person exclaimed that he too was from TJC at Malaysia but has not been coming to church since he came to Singapore. So this sister from then on started to pass sermons CD to him and always encourages him to come to church.
This sister’s faith as seen from above testimonies is very simple. She always speaks of her troubles and requests to the Lord, and the Lord always too listen to her. When I heard her testimonies, I thought to myself, this sister is so close to our Lord, am I able to be as close to the Lord as her? Maybe our faith through the years is no longer so simple as before? Maybe we have put so much emphasis on the knowledge to the Word of God, and in this pursue of knowledge, we no longer have the simple faith of just trusting the Lord and bring to Him all our troubles and weariness?
This is something for me to ponder and pursue. May the Lord guide me in this.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
(Matthew 5:8)
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
(Matthew 11:28)
-Peace-
The way that David wrote the Psalms, a lot of time it looks like a child asking things from the parents, or throwing a little tantrum just like the way a child would to his/her parents. This type of behaviors only happens when one is very close to the other person, just like the way we talk to our very best friends, to anybody less close, we would never do that.
So when reading these passages in Psalms, I always wonder, will I or maybe I should say, can I say things the same way as David to our Lord, our Father? Is my relationship with God close enough for me to speak to Him all my needs, my troubles etc.
A lot of times we will say to ourselves that we should not trouble God with all these little things or little problems that we faced in our life. But learning from David, we will know that this is a wrong way of thinking, our Father is more then willing to listen to our troubles etc.
Recently I met a sister while on the MRT home, and in this journey she was telling me about the happenings at her life recently. She had just changed a job, and is facing some problems with a colleague and thus also causing her boss to misunderstand her. So she was very sad and she prayed to the Lord for a chance to prove that it was not her fault, and the Lord listen to her request and sure enough granted her the chance.
Also as she was at her first few days at the new job, she was not used to the new environment and new place, she prayed to the Lord that she would be able to meet a church member nearby. So the day when she was in the lift, she asked a person next to her about directions to a certain bus stop, this person started describing to her in much details about the directions, even offered to fetch her there, which of course she rejected. Then this person proceeded to tear a page from his diary and wrote down the directions. Seeing that this person is so helpful, our sister took some tracts out to pass to him, but on seeing the tract, the person exclaimed that he too was from TJC at Malaysia but has not been coming to church since he came to Singapore. So this sister from then on started to pass sermons CD to him and always encourages him to come to church.
This sister’s faith as seen from above testimonies is very simple. She always speaks of her troubles and requests to the Lord, and the Lord always too listen to her. When I heard her testimonies, I thought to myself, this sister is so close to our Lord, am I able to be as close to the Lord as her? Maybe our faith through the years is no longer so simple as before? Maybe we have put so much emphasis on the knowledge to the Word of God, and in this pursue of knowledge, we no longer have the simple faith of just trusting the Lord and bring to Him all our troubles and weariness?
This is something for me to ponder and pursue. May the Lord guide me in this.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
(Matthew 5:8)
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
(Matthew 11:28)
-Peace-